Saturday, September 5, 2009

Email dated 9/4/09

Well I'm loving life here at the MTC. Everyone in my district is starting to complain a lot about the food here. They're sick of the same old stuff every meal. I laugh inside and hope that when they get out into the field they will miss the food here. I'm OK with it. I have gained 5 pounds since I've been here though-it's not noticeable, but it shows on the scale. I guess I'll have to work up more of a sweat during my intense games of 4-square and volleyball.I'm in a 'threesome' companionship now. It's really weird, but I'm looking on the bright side of things. Teaching with 3 people is much different that the intricacies of just 2, but it also comes with it's own blessings and advantages-I'm learning to focus on the advantages.

An Elder in my district was quarantined this week with the flu, and the health clinic made all of us take these anti-viral pills to prevent the spread of it. He's OK-he was just stuck in a room all by himself for 4 days... I would have gone crazy.Spanish is coming slowly, but surely. Up until now we've been teaching the lessons in English, and doing everything else in Spanish-but this week we have to start doing everything in Spanish. I'll be OK, I continue to study really hard. I'm trying this new personal goal where I only allow myself 200 words in English a day. Every time I speak in English, I make a tally mark in my planner. Some elders choose one day a week as their 'Nothing but Spanish' day, but I think that's kind of stupid- what does that make the other days of the week? "Non-Spanish speaking" days?

I find myself wishing their were more hours in the day. I want to do so much and study so much, and their just isn't enough time to do it all. Setting goals is SO important, because I have to prioritize and lay out my time to accomplish what is most important. I don't waste much time here. Of course, I only get so much time to be in the MTC, and so I plan on taking advantage of the time I have here. 9 weeks seemed like forever at first, but now I can't believe I'm already in week 5. It'll be no time at all before I'm in Connecticut, converting and baptizing the whole state. I'm gonna baptize the whole state of Rhode Island too, all two inches of it. (In case you didn't catch on, that was a BAD example of goal setting)

But seriously, I'm doing just great. I'm really happy, I love what I'm doing, and I'm doing what I love. At times I get frustrated with Spanish, but that always makes me think about the experience of Enoch. You should all read about it in Moses 6. God calls Enoch to be a prophet, and Enoch doesn't feel capable or ready. In verse 31 he says " I am but a lad, and all the people hate me... I am slow of speech; wherefore, am I Thy servant?". I feel like that sometimes, but then I read verse 32-Here comes the promise: "Do as I have commanded you... and your mouth shall be filled... and you shall be given utterance.." (Moses 6:31-32)

I love the spirit here-it's constantly with me. I know that what I'm doing is the most important thing I could possibly be doing right now. I'm a missionary, called and qualified by God to do His work, preach His gospel, and help bring my brothers and sisters unto Christ. I'm working hard at understanding my purpose and teaching according to that purpose.

I love you all. You're always in my prayers, as I hope I'm in yours. Get well, be healthy, and May the Good Lord bless and keep you til we meet again.

Your Elder,
Luke Shepherd

No comments: