So, last week was really crazy, and I didn't get a chance to email, so I apologize for not writing everyone. This week was pretty rad, though, so I hope it makes up for it.
We had a leadership training for all the leaders in the mission on a new missionary program that the church is starting up. They're completely changing the curriculum of how they teach missionaries in the MTC's and how the training should be done in the field. The new curriculum focuses exclusively on teaching skills, like listening, asking good questions, adjusting teaching to meet needs, etc... I am SO stoked about it! The problem with most of the missionary force right now isn't that they don't know how to do missionary things, but that they really aren't being effective teachers. They're raising the standards as far as teaching is concerned, and they're more effectively teaching missionaries how to teach. The church also produced a new set of "Preach my Gospel" DVD's which shows examples from a mission in California of great gospel teaching. They're teaching all of the leaders how to teach and how to teach others how to teach so that we can then teach our districts and zones how to teach (did you get all that?) Anyway, I'm really excited with this shift in focus--it's definitely going to make missionary work more effective.
I noticed that since the training I received that I've been teaching WAY better than before. It's not that I wasn't a good teacher before, but I've really been able to hone my skills. My philosophy has always been 'love in teaching'. I don't care how capable the teacher is, or how well they explain things, that teaching means nothing without love and sincerity. God has blessed me with a whole lot of love to give--now he's helping me adapt my teaching skills. Love first, then teaching. There is no other way.
So I was visiting with Sister Flores, an inactive member of the church in our area who owns a little store in Providence in a pretty rough neighborhood, and buying vanilla extract imported from the Dominican Republic (it's SO much better than the regular stuff), when someone ran into the store to tell her that someone just threw a rock through her car window. We went outside with her, and sure enough, her entire rear window was shattered, and a group of little kids scattered. Sister Flores doesn't speak English, and she recognized one of the kids as her neighbor, so we accompanied her over there to see if we could clear up the situation. The neighbors didn't speak Spanish, so we were translating for her, and it was obvious that their little 9 year old boy threw the rock. It was also obvious that the dad didn't want to pay for it (I wouldn't either) but he came to take a look at the car anyway. Sister Flores wanted him to pay for the window, and he didn't want to admit anymore that his son did it because he didn't want to pay for it, so they decided to call the police. Of course, the cops didn't speak Spanish, and they favored the man who could speak English, so they just left without doing anything about it. I felt really bad for Sister Flores, who was the victim of not just some little boy's mistake, but an obvious victim of discrimination because of her brown skin. I did all that I could do to help, and at least I could give Sister Flores a voice and stand up for her, but her neighbor totally took advantage of her, and no one else would stand up for the little, old shop-owner from El Salvador. Where was the justice OR mercy in this? Where was the christian love that we should show for our neighbor? It's a sad story, and stories like that are all over the place here.
I wish sometimes that I could just take away the suffering and trails from those that I love, but I know all too well that I cannot. The Plan of Salvation would be pointless and ruined if that were possible, and we would never be able to learn or progress. I certainly don't love suffering, but I'm grateful for adversity in my life. It's the adversity in my life that has made me who I am, and it's my Savior that has helped me to overcome such adversity in a positive way. Without the suffering of Jesus Christ, all of the suffering that we go through is in vain. Without the Atonement that He freely offered, adversity would do nothing more than beat us down, and we would have no hope for the future. Through the Atonement, we are healed, we overcome tribulation, and we receive the strength necessary to fight another day and press forward. Let us face adversity and suffering with a hopeful heart and optimism.
We should learn from the example of our Lord Jesus Christ, and we should lift one another. Why don't we stand up for those who are oppressed? Why don't we stand as witnesses of Christ is not just word only, but in DEED? Let us lift the heavy hearts of our brethren! Let us show them the love that our Savior showed all of us! Let us allow the pure love of Christ to be our motive, our walk and our talk. Find someone who is hurting, and do something good for them. That's what Christ would have you do.
I love what I do, and I am honored by the opportunity to suffer scorn and affliction for the name of Christ. He already did the same for me.
Thank you for your prayers. I feel them sustaining me. I've never felt the power of prayer more profoundly in my life as I have this past week. Remember that the, "fervent, effectual prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16) I'll need your prayers this week as I have to see the doctor again.
With much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment