I had a way cool service opportunity this week with my El Salvadorian friend Teresa Flores and her corner store, "the Pulgarcito". OK, so as we walk into her store, she calls out to me," Elder! Do you know how you are always asking me if you can do anything for me? Well I have a favor to ask," she say as she puts a confusing-looking manual in front of me for a 340-ZA Sharp cash register. "My register keeps showing this error sign, and I don't know how to fix it! I can't sell anything. Can you help me?" I impulsively responded, "Of course I can!". As I sat down in front of her register with this weird manual in front of me, I remembered something, "Oh yeah... you don't know anything about cash registers. You don't know where to begin." I puzzled for a moment over this situation that I'd gotten myself into when I thought, "Well, I'll just say a prayer in my heart, and put myself to work." I began reading the manual and looking for any information about the error message that popped up on her register. I eventually found out what the message meant-"Error 02=incorrect key entry"... yeah, that was helpful. I didn't feel any closer to solving the problem then before, and the manual didn't tell you how to fix it. I was kind of hoping for an easy answer, but I wasn't getting out of it that easy. Anyway, I kept reading the manual and troubleshooting this register, and after about 30 minutes of trial and error with it, I finally pin-pointed the problem-the batteries that are used for storing the memory in case of a sudden power outage had run out, and the manual had mentioned that if that ever happens, and you switch the machine accidentally to another certain function, that this error would pop-up. (keep in mind, these answers came very spread apart over a long period of troubleshooting) I promptly replaced the batteries, but to my dismay, that only meant that the memory would be completely erased, and that I would have to reprogram the register from scratch. I had to follow a very long and tedious process, leaving the machine unplugged for EXACTLY one minute, then punching in a code as you placed the batteries in, and then programming in the tax rate and other functions following a really long series of codes in the book which, if not pushed in exact sequence, would result in a failure and I would have to start all over again. I followed the instructions to the tee, and at the end of a very long process, I had a cash register that was working properly and a very grateful El Salvadorian woman. "You fixed it!" she cried. It was one of the most satisfying feelings I've ever had.
This experience was great for a lot of reasons. I felt good knowing that I'd confronted a challenge that I knew very little about, but was able to overcome employing perseverance and the 'instruction manual'. I would have been totally lost without the manual. It was frustrating because it didn't give me the answers easily, and I had to search hard to find them, but when they came they were clear. It's satisfying when you overcome something difficult. It was also great knowing that I'd been able to make someone else's job a little easier and lighten the load for them. Service always gives you a really good, satisfied feeling afterward. This whole experience was very reminiscent of many gospel principles of which I teach every day. The 'manual', or the scriptures, truly do give us the answers to how to face our little and big problems in life, but oftentimes it requires diligent study in searching them out to find them, and usually, an answer doesn't come all at once or even in the way that we expect. Of course, it's always more satisfying afterward when you overcome something that was difficult. I remember the great words of a family favorite baseball movie, "A League of Their Own". "Of course it's hard! If it wasn't hard it wouldn't make it great!" (or something to that effect). [sister's note: Actually, the real quote is, "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great." The middle of which doesn't fit quite as well with the point he was making, but I think we can forgive him for that.]
Hold to the rod! Even if you have no idea how to confront the next challenge ahead of you, I promise you will find true and wise counsel and direction if you hold to the iron rod. Obedience can sometimes be difficult or tedious, even undesirable, as was the case with the cash register, but 100% obedience will always yield 100% blessings. ALWAYS.
OK, the other service opportunity I had this week has to do with the picture I attached to the email of us trying to fit that couch through the window. That was really hard. The couch didn't fit through the door, and their was no other way to get it into that house except through that window. It sure as heck didn't seem convenient, or desirable, but we just put our shoulder to the wheel, and got that couch into that house. (It took 8 elders working on either side of the couch to do it, but we did it) It was totally worth it.
Halloween was really laid back for us. We had a great day at church, then all of our appointments canceled, and we had to be in the apartment before it got dark, because Halloween is really crazy and dangerous here. I made some really good food (I cooked some chicken with green peppers, tons of spices, and rice) and we read our scriptures and talked and laughed about good ol' times. It was relaxing.
Missionary life is great. I have lots of fun experiences to share, but I usually can't remember a lot of them when I write this email. Any questions?
With much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd

No comments:
Post a Comment