email 8/10/11
My Dearest Friends and Family,
So my very last P-Day is on a Wednesday... weird. So you get my last email on a Wednesday instead of a Monday.
This last week has been a whirlwind adventure. I was invited to perform at an "Interfaith Musical Fireside" where music groups and performers all from different churches got together to perform a concert at the LDS chapel in Trumbull, CT. I accompanied several other people, singers and groups from other churches, as well as performed my own solo and sang in a quartet. It was awesome! I'm attaching a picture of me with a gospel choir singing group that was awesome...
I got to go to the temple for the first time since the MTC this Saturday with my district! IT WAS SO GRAND! It felt soooo good after so long. I've attached a picture of us at the temple.
That same day, last Saturday, Dunia Vasquez entered the waters of baptism and I had the privilege of baptizing her. She's wanted to be baptized but for a long time her father wouldn't let her. We helped her write down and organize her testimony which, when she bore it to her father, softened his heart so much that he let her be baptized. She's a really bright girl and will be strong in the gospel.
All of the missionaries in my district have been really excited to get free stuff from me that I'm not taking home; particularly, they've been coveting my ties, because I have a rather impressive tie collection that I've acquired in the mission. I gave away TONS of ties this morning. I'm only going to end up bringing several of my choicest ties home. I love ties. Beyond that they fought over other stuff as well, office supplies and other random articles and knick-knacks that didn't make my 'take home' list.
Saying goodbyes this week was really hard. I think that tears were shed in every single appointment I've had for the last couple of days. I'm really going to miss this place and I know that I'm going to be missed. The relief society women in the branch here are still trying to convince me to stay. The branch threw a "Goodbye Party" for me last night. I cried my eyes out as they sang "God be with you til' we meet again". My emotions have been a mess recently. I've been filled with happiness and conflict. I suppose that it's perfectly natural to be sad to say goodbye to something and someone that I love so dearly.
I am so excited to come home and reunite with all of you! I have served my heart out for the past 2 years and given the Lord everything I have. It's a really good feeling to come home with no regrets. I didn't leave anything on the table. I'll touch down in Utah at 3:40 PM this Friday with nothing but joy and satisfaction for having served faithfully. I'll see you then!
with much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment