This week was really slow for missionary work. It rained a lot, so there wasn't very many people to talk to in the streets. Nobody seemed to open their doors to us this week either. In some ways it gets me really excited, because I know that this slump means that in the near future there will be a boost. We just have to work through the rain and the hard times, and find joy in the journey.
We still don't have any results from the sleep study. They never called me back, but I have an appointment with them again next tuesday, so we'll know by then.
A family I am teaching was trying to talk to their family in Ecuador via Web-Cam when we came over to teach them, and they were experiencing technical difficulties. They were extremely grateful when I used my 'skills' and fixed their web cam for them and set up their messenger. They were pretty receptive to our teaching after that. I guess you never know when some of your 'skills' will come in handy.
I am WAY excited for General Conference this weekend! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the spiritual high I get during and after the conference, and with prayerful preparation I'll find answers to my questions. What a marvelous opportunity we have to learn from and sit at the feet of Prophets and Apostles of Jesus Christ. This conference will be inspiring, and I know that we will all be edified and filled with the spirit as we receive the messages given by the Lord's authorized servants.
I got to teach the spanish sunday school class again yesterday. We discussed the Gift of the Holy Ghost, how we can recognize it's influence, and how we can make correct choices and be led by it's promptings. I was really impressed as several of the members shared their insights about the Holy Ghost and what having this gift truly meant to them. One woman stressed how she strives to make her home an environment where the spirit is ever present by listening to good music and 'unplugging' from worlds distractions. We talked about how the Holy Ghost speaks in 'susurros' (whispers) and is a 'suave' (smooth) voice, and how we must allow time for meditation and quiet in our lives. In this day and age, we're always plugged in to some device. TV, I-Pod, video games, radio, etc... we're constantly receiving an overload of information. With all the chaos and all the noise it makes it increasingly difficult for us to sense and heed the quiet promptings of the spirit. I can promise you that whatever it is that impedes you from feeling these promptings... it's not worth it. In our busy lives, we have to make difficult decisions as to how to use our time, but there should never exist conscious decisions on our part in the which we put spiritual matters as a secondary priority. Never! If we put in the first place the precepts of God we will see miracles in our lives. We will no longer be lost behind the excuse, "I don't have enough time" if we put the Kingdom of God first in our life. When there appears to not be sufficient time to do everything, we must give to God the place of first priority/highest importance in our lives.
I'm short on time and am running out of things to say, so I'll wrap this one up.
Much Love,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment