I had a cold this week, which really stinks when you're a missionary. You feel like garbage and you can't go out and work and give it your all. We still had a very successful week and got a lot accomplished despite that setback. If all continues to go well, we'll have a baptismal service this week for Carlos! (Pray for him! Please!)
My appointment with the sleep doctor is tomorrow, so I still don't have any details. The appointment tomorrow is only a consult for the overnight sleep study I'll have to do at a later date, so there still may be some time before we get down to the bottom of things.
One of our recent converts had the roughest week of her life this last week. Her family treats her terribly-they're always stone drunk when we go over there, and they harass Maralean about being a member of the church. Maralean's a single mother with 2 kids under the age of 5, and she can't move away from her family because her income won't support them if they move out. On top of things, her father, living in Puerto Rico, got shot on Tuesday and he died shortly thereafter. She was really depressed when we won't over to her house. Of course, everyone else in her family was just super drunk, drinking their problems and their lives away awaiting cirhosis of the liver. It's a tough situation. I was at a loss for words. I rarely ever am at a loss for words, but when she told me about all of it this week I just didn't know what to say. I didn't have anything clever or witty. All I could say was testify of the reality of our living Savior, Jesus Christ, and how He could help her bear her burdens. At times like that, it's sometimes difficult to be bold and testify amidst all of this darkness and suffering; but we can't abandon the things we know to be true just because the going gets tough, and we get a little bruised or battered along the way. At times like that it's more important than ever to stay close to the Savior and His teachings. If you find yourself in times of trouble, open your scriptures and get on your knees, and cast your burdens upon the Lord. Sometimes we have heavy weights to carry, but you don't have to carry it all by yourself.
Javier and Emalita, a couple with 2 daughters that we've been teaching, both still want to be baptized really badly. The only problem is that Javier still is hesitant about getting married. It doesn't make sense to me, seeing as they're living as if they were married right now. A legal document saying that you're married wouldn't change their living style or arrangement in the slightest. If anything were to change, it would improve their relationship in that they would be legally bound to one another and consequently more faithful. Emalita wants to get married, and she was really frustrated with Javier this last time we went over there. She asked several times, "What are you waiting for Javier?" I'm convinced that they're just not communicating with one another very effectively, or that they never talk about these things when we're not in the home. So many problems can be solved simply by improved and increased communication inbetween parties. This principle is true for all of is in many aspects of our lives. Effective communication is key.
So, last night we were visiting Maria, a recent convert, and her husband Carlos. They had 3 or 4 other friends over at the time. The weather has been really good the past week in New Haven, and it feels like springtime. Anyway, Maria and Carlos bought a Barbeque Grill, and they were assembling with a couple of their friends when we came over. We helped them assemble it, and then they moved it into their house and hooked the propane up. I quickly advised them that using the barbeque indoors wasn't such a good idea considering the fumes and smoke it produces. I guess they didn't really think it through, seeing as they have never used a BBQ grill before. Good thing I was there-that could have been bad.
This week was great, and our spirits are up. The next transfer is on the 22nd of March, and I really don't want to leave New Haven. This is still my first area, but I've loved every minute of it here for the past 5 months.
Thanks for all of your prayers and support. I love you!
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment