Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Reaching Out

email 4/26/10
ransfer calls are this next week again, and I don't know how much longer they'll leave me in New Haven. I surely will go wherever I'm called to go, but I'm really attached to the people and the ward here, and I want to continue serving here. We'll see how it goes down this next week...
We should witness the baptism of Veronica and Digna this next sunday! We had some wonderful lessons with them this week, and they are both very excited and ready to move forward. I got to translate for Veronica as she had an interview with the bishop of our ward here (I never thought that I would be fluent enough to translate from spanish to english or from english to spanish on the spot...) She's been through a lot in her life as her mother left her family when they were young and as she now tries to raise her 4 children away from the influence of her drunk ex-husband. She's a very strong woman with a lot of faith in God. That's what gives me the most sollace concerning her- she has an abiding faith in Jesus Christ. No one wants to see my investigators get baptized as much as I do, but surely, there is something that I want for more for them than that. More than baptism, I want my investigators to have an abiding faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement. Everything else follows that principle and seed of faith. I am confident in her determination and sincerity.
I feel, as I imagine my mission president feels in his stewardship over dozens of needy missionaries, that, at times, my life cannot implement in action the demands of all the people to whom my heart responds. I've built strong and lasting relationships with so many people here that I could never give each of them the amount of attention sufficient to reflect my love and concern for them. I do my very best to give them the time and attention they deserve, but I only ever get 1 or 2 45 minute appointments with them a week, and some not even that. Therefore, I always let them know how much I love and care about them every chance I get. We all have a great responsibility as far as stewardship is concerned whether it's in our families, work, or callings. There is a consequential insufficiency of time to accomodate all such demands as we would like, but that is why we must set priorities and take advantage of every second of time that we have. My hope and desire is that I may be a blessing to others and not a burden. In short, I yearn for the emulative character of a disciple of Jesus Christ, not in word only, but in deed, soul, heart, and mind.
For example, I only have very limited amount of time to email weekly, and I don't have time to write all my thoughts or feelings to all those to whom I wish to respond; nevertheless, my heart and prayers reach desperately out to all of you. You are constantly in my heart, and I appreciate so very much your prayers and thoughts in my behalf.
With all the sincerity that my mortal frame can muster, I strive to be a true under-shepherd of our Shepherd, and seek the one amongst the ninety and nine. My zeal faintly resembles that of Alma in the 29th chapter of Alma when he exclaims "O that I were an angel and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!". I do not aspire to position, rank, or 'greater calling', and yet, I have a desire to stretch forth my voice unto all who will listen.
Jesus Christ is the Saviour and Redeemer of the world. He lives and guides His church through His living prophet and apostles. He restored His church in it's fulness to the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith, and has blessed us with sacred volumes of holy scripture that we may study and prove for ourselves. I know that this work is true and marvelous.
       I love you all!
         -Elder Shepherd

No comments: