Monday, August 30, 2010

Lots of Lessons Learned... and Taught!‏

email 8/30/10
I attached a picture of my district. It's not a great quality picture, but you can see how great we all are anyway.
This was probably, as far as numbers go, the most productive week of my mission. I've never taught more than 18 lessons in a single week, and this week, I taught 29. It was pretty awesome! I'm kind of competing with the sister missionaries in my district, who are both doing really well and having a number battle with me (friendly competition never hurt!). They knew that Elder Cohen and I were shooting for 20 lessons this week (which had never been achieved yet in our district or zone) and so they were really excited to report to me yesterday that they got 24 lessons, hoping that they would 'one-up' me. Little did they know... They were shocked at their defeat, and now they're even more motivated to hit 30 lessons, and now the battle is on to see who will be the first companionship in the mission to EVER hit 30 lessons in one week. Pray for me!
Like I said, as far as numbers go, it was productive, but numbers mean very very little. They're a means to end, a way to measure your vision and goal, but they don't really reflect your success as a missionary. Certainly, higher numbers mean that other things are getting done, people are getting taught, and the work is progressing, but the number means nothing without the reflection of the precious son or daughter of God who it represents.
Putting the numbers aside, Elder Cohen and I had a very productive week. A member family who we've been working with for a while now came to church for the 2nd week in a row after a several year absence. They expressed deep gratitude to us for our efforts in helping them come back. More importantly, the father of the family told me, "Thank you for showing me genuine love. I know we weren't a project for you, but I could feel your love.". Experiences like that are so precious, and they make all the work and toil worth it (vale la pena in spanish). It was another testimony to me of the importance of genuine love in service. You can't fake love. People can tell why you're in their house. They can see right through the missionary facade of, "Oh, we were just in the area and thought we might stop by...". If your heart is in the right place, let them know up front how you feel. I remember having a great conversation with my trainer my first week or so in the mission field about this subject. We'd knocked a couple of doors only to be lied to and turned down. My companion turned to me after walking away from the door of a lady who'd shut us down saying, "I find it impossible to love these people sometimes. They're just so...etc...". After listening to his argument, I replied, "Elder, I love these people."-"No you don't. How can you?"-"Elder, I really do. I love people. I love them because they're children of our Father in Heaven."-"I know they are, it's just tough. I'm trying to be patient."-"Elder, it's not enough to fake it.". He paused and looked at me for a moment, and with a renewed desire he said, "How do you feel about knocking a couple more doors?"-"I'd love to.".
We talked a lot about the role that love plays in missionary work and in life in general. We grew closer through that experience, and I've always tried since then to do this work the right way.
One of the subtle ways in which all of us become 'weary of well-doing' is doing the right things for the wrong reasons. (D&C 64:33) Many people get so caught up in school, work, service, etc. that they lose the joy in doing it. Even if they started off with the right motives, they now are focused on 'getting things done', or they become so hectically involved that they can't balance it all or give anything the true attention and love that it needs. Don't forget why you do what you do. Do it for love. If it's not love, let it go.
This is the last week of another transfer, and I keep teasing Elder Cohen that he's going to leave the area. He's been here for 9 months already, and it's still his first area. He mostly denies it, but he started showing some concern this morning, "Elder... This is my last week in the area... aww...". He doesn't want to go, but we'll see how it all turns out. All bets say that I'm staying, but we never know. Anything could happen.
Alas, my dear friends, my time runs short. I bid 'adieu' (or should I say 'adios'?)
         Much Love,
               -Elder Shepherd

No comments: