Our wonderful friend Mirian was baptized this last Saturday! Yay! She is a sweet old lady from the Dominican Republic that we've been teaching for quite a while now. She has gone to lots of different churches in her life in search for something that 'felt right'. She came to church and immediately noticed something different about it, and she felt like she'd found that 'feeling' that she was looking for. She will be a faithful member of the church here, and her decision to be baptized and be faithful will greatly influence her life and the life of her family.This next week will mark another 6-week 'transfer' that I've spent here in Providence. I sure hope that I get to stay here, and chances are that I probably will, but you never know. I've been here almost 6 months now. I've seen a lot change here since I came-I've split the area into 2, combined the areas again, split them again, and then combined 2 other areas into mine, and probably will have to split off another portion of my area in a week as we'll have some new elders coming in. Things are constantly changing and life is constantly hurtling onward without slowing down. I can't believe that I've already been a missionary for 14 months, and that next summer I go home. I'm glad that amongst all the changes and curve-balls that life throws at you that there is something that always stays constant: Jesus Christ as our 'rock' and 'sure foundation'.
The world has changed a lot, and the problems that we face today in the world are very different than those of old, but the manner in which we face those problems has ALWAYS been the same! We must confront adversity with hope and unwavering faith in God. We must learn to be obedient and thereby enjoy the only true and lasting happiness in life. If you don't know what it's like I dare you to see what having an obedient heart feels like. God's laws remain unaltered, and this 'very old' notion of 'obedience brings blessings' remains unaltered as well. No matter who you are or what your circumstance, obedience to God's commandments is ALWAYS the right decision, ALWAYS. Christ's teachings of love and acceptance are never old-fashioned or out of style, no matter how much the world changes. There is a lot of hate and anger in the world, and the best way to fight it is to love your neighbor as yourself and treat them how you would like to be treated. What this world needs is a generation of Christians who will stand up for what they believe in, be respectful and loving to people from all walks of life, and be firm examples of the believers. God taught us to love everyone, including the sinners and outcasts, and bigotry and anger, no matter who it's aimed at, is never acceptable. Remember, the worth of every soul is great in the sight of God. (D&C 18:10) Let us reach out in love and service to those who despitefully use us and oppress us, and may we have the courage to choose faith (for surely it is a choice and not merely incident). Choose the high ground. Choose the path of a disciple of Jesus Christ, remembering as well that the hard thing to do and the right thing to do are usually always the same thing.
I love you, and pray for you with 'all the energy of my heart' (Moroni 7:48)
With much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd

No comments:
Post a Comment