For those of you who tuned in to General Conference this weekend they announced the construction of 5 new temples around the world. One of those scheduled for construction is the HARTFORD CONNECTICUT TEMPLE! WOO!!! I was so stoked when I they announced that they were building a temple here that I shouted,'YES!' out loud. There was quite a buzz among the members here. We're all so excited that the blessings of the temple will be brought closer to us so that we can be enriched and strengthened by the power of the Lord here and take part in the fulfillment of Malachi's prophecy and the mandate that, "he shall turn the heart of the fathers to their children, and the heart of the children to their fathers." Temples bring SO many blessings! General Conference was really awesome for a long list of reasons: I had 5 investigators who came to at least 1 session with their spouses, the spirit and the speakers answered tons of questions for them as well as me, it feels as though the work has a new energy, and I am spiritually rejuvenated. I particularly enjoyed the talks given by Dieter F. Uchtdorf about simplifying our lives and pride. President Monson's talk about gratitude was great, and I really really liked Richard G. Scott's talk about faith and character. Boyd K. Packer's comments about the family were right on target, and I knew that others who were listening felt of the power of his words. Conference weekend was full of spiritual power, and I can't wait for the November issue of the Ensign to come out so that I can spend some real time studying their words and getting the revelation and learning out of them that I need.
I pondered a lot about how we can deepen our conversion to the gospel and change our thoughts and desires to be more in harmony with God's will, and I received a lot of insight from conference about it. D Todd Christoffersen offered lots of helpful insights about consecration. Consecration is the process by which we are made holy, by which we truly cleanse the inner vessel. We are to offer up our "'bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which sacrifice] is your reasonable service" (Romans 12:1). M. Russell Ballard was talking specifically about addictions, but his advice about change and repentance applies to all of us regardless of whether or not we struggle with substance abuse or pornography. He said that our minds, bodies, and spirits can be transformed: "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:2). He said that the key is sincere, fervent, and consistent prayer. There is hope for recovery and change wherever there is a righteous desire to do so. We have to recognize that we can't change our minds or hearts by ourselves--that change comes from the grace of God, and is communicated by the spirit. As we consecrate our time, talents, thoughts, and actions to God, He consecrates and transforms us, giving us, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." As we think about what may be required of us in this process of consecration and change, we may tremble inwardly at what may be required, but remember that feelings of inadequacy are common, so are feelings of fatigue, hence the needed warning of our being "weary of well-doing"(D&C 64:33); but please keep in mind that God has already said that "[His] grace is sufficient for you"(Ether 12:27, D&C 17:8). There is always hope where there is faith, and there is always faith when their is trust in God sufficient enough to put that trust into action and test it. The key to it is to constantly move forward! Like the Apostle Paul taught, "this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philipians 3:13-14) Put one foot in front of the other, and keep going forward! It is not the speed of your pace, but your diligence that wins you the prize! (Mosiah 4:27)
I have so much to be grateful for. I thoroughly enjoy every second I have out here in the mission field. It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done, and I won't sugar coat it by saying otherwise, but it would be dishonest of me as well to not acknowledge that it's by far the most worthwhile thing I've ever done. I'm grateful for all who strive to live in the best way they know how and constantly move forward despite heartache and travail. Their examples of faith and perseverance are a legacy for me to follow. I pray that I will never do anything with my name that would bring it shame; that is, in two senses: First, the name I carry on my chest that reads 'Jesus Christ', as well as the name I inherit from my exemplary parents and predecessors of 'Shepherd'. There have already been several 'Elder Shepherd's' who have served the Lord with all their heart, and I wish to continually bring honor to the name I carry as 'Elder Shepherd' from my father and 2 older brothers. (Thank you for serving and showing me how to do so).
Life is good, and I am happy, healthy, and filthy wealthy (with spiritual currency).
With much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment