email 9/27/10
I have a super-awesome-musically-talented group of elders and sisters in my district. Both of the sisters in my district sing very well, and 1 in particular was a soloist and toured Europe. Another elder in my district studied musical theater and opera, and he sings very well and plays piano so-so. Another elder can sing fairly well and he plays piano fairly well. My companion is a great bass singer and he plays piano so-so as well along with trumpet. I play piano and sing, and together we make a really great group. I've never been so deeply touched by the power of good music in my life then out here in the mission field. I'm organizing a mission musical fireside right now, and I'm sorting through music and searching for talent in the mission. I've reflected oftentimes on the inspired words and moving music of the songs I've selected. I did a test-run with one of the songs by having a sister do a special musical number at our weekly district meeting this week. It's a song about the Atonement of Christ called 'For Me Alone' (it's a free download from the Sally Deford Website). Everyone was in tears after the song, and the spirit seemed to envelop us in a thick cloud. It was a really special meeting, and I attribute it to the selection of inspired music that brought the spirit into the atmosphere like nothing else can. Elder Hansen asked me, "Why don't we utilize music more in our proselyting?" I thought about it, and I realized that we really could use music as an effective missionary tool. God gave us our talents so that we would use them to bless His kingdom on the earth. Why wouldn't I be able to use mine to preach the Gospel? We were randomly speaking to one elderly man in front of his house as it started to downpour out of nowhere, so he invited us in. In the first several moments of conversation, I found that this man had a genuine love for music, particularly big band music from the 30's and 40's and crooners like Sinatra. It didn't take long for him to ask me, "Do you play piano!?" He showed me to his piano in his front room, and his impressive collection of sheet music from that golden era of music. I felt like this was way to big of a coincidence to be a coincidence, so I teased him a bit by playing and singing a song or two. He was so giddy that I thought he might die of a heart attack. I then played and sung one of my favorite hymns, I Need Thee Every Hour. The spirit descended and we had a good conversation after the fact. I remember leaving the appointment thinking,"Why can't missionary work always be like this?"
Music is one of the reasons I really look forward to General Conference. The General Authorities of the church understand the crucial role that music plays in worship, and the music for General Conference is always magnificent. It always fills me up spiritually. I can't wait for this weekend to again be richly fed by the spirit in both the music and the spoken word of God. Prepare yourselves for General Conference so that you might be fed as well. Fast and pray that the speakers will be inspired, and that the Lord will speak to you through them. Go into the conference with a prayer in your heart, questions on your mind, a blank sheet of paper, and a soul that hungers and thirsts after righteousness, and I promise you that you will have a miraculous spiritual experience. If you have any doubt at all as to the divinity of Jesus Christ or the truthfulness of His modern day work in His restored church, bring it to the table and prove the Lord at General Conference. I can boldly testify miracles because I have done so and received such in my life. Prove the Lord. He will prove you. (Abraham 3:25, Deut. 8:2, Malachi 3:10, Phillipians 1:29, D&C 84:79, D&C 98:14-15, D&C 101:2-9... just to name a few.)
I know that this church is true, and that this work is so much bigger and grander than I ever imagined it to be. I know that God loves us and will sanctify and strengthen us if we let Him.
With much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment