Ok, so my companion, Elder Urrutia, is Mexican and he's not a citizen yet in the country, and his family has been fighting for their residency here for 11 years. Anyway, they finally have a court date for the last step of the process, but the whole family has to appear in person and be fingerprinted to finish everything off. That includes my companion. He has to fly home to Houston, Texas next week for 2 days to show up in court with his family and be fingerprinted, and then fly back out here to Connecticut, otherwise he would lose his case for residency and possibly wait many more years and spend thousands of more dollars... Immigration laws here are so stupid. Anyway, I don't know where I'll be during that time, but it's only for a couple of days. Could you imagine being sent home for just 1 or 2 days with only 8 months left in your mission? That would trunk me out of my mind! He's going to sleep in his own bed, use his own bathroom, chill with is family, and then come back to missionary world. He's already feeling really trunky about it.
So the Hartford, Connecticut mission is being closed to be combined with the Boston, Massachusetts mission. MY MISSION IS BEING CLOSED! (Well, combined with another mission, but we will be dissolved.) I got the notice this morning from my mission president. The change will officially take effect on July 1st when my mission president and his wife end their mission service. This means that for the last transfer of my mission I'm going to be in a totally new mission with new boundaries and new missionaries and new leadership. I guess I'm kind of excited, but I'm kind of sad at the same time that it's just for my very last transfer. I'm just shocked. I don't know how to feel about it. I know it's the work of the Lord, and I'm pretty sure that I'll get excited about it or find the silver lining, but right now I'm just filled with uncertainty. It's just weird to think that my mission won't even exist in a couple of months.
Well, on the other side of things, our investigator, Harley, is super excited to be baptized in a couple of weeks. His mother has been an inactive member of the church for years, but with her son's enthusiasm she is getting excited. It's cool to watch the spirit work on her in our lessons. She knows what she's needs to do, and she has the gift of the Holy Ghost to help her. They came to church together on Sunday, which was really cool for Harley and a breath of fresh air for his mom. We've been leaving pamphlets about gospel principles with them and committing her to go over the pamphlet with her son before our next visit. She's teaching him the gospel, as it should be, and you can tell that she feels it. The spirit works on people in extraordinary ways.
Well, that was a lot of news for this email. I'm still going strong, and I love the mission! Keep praying for me and writing me!
with much from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment