email 1/24/11 I'm sorry that I wasn't able to email last week! It was Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and we couldn't get into a library. However, I was working on the computer all week, but I didn't want to abuse my computer privileges and email on days other than P-day. Ok, so I'm now doing missionary work on cyberspace. It's kind of weird, but I think it's so AWESOME! I'm 1 of 8 missionaries in our mission who are piloting this program for the church. We created new facebook accounts (I'm Elder Shepherd), and we friend request all the members here in our areas, and we then send them links to church videos and mormon.org, posting things on their wall and giving the church TONS of exposure on the internet. All those people are uplifted, but then all their friends see all these postings and start investigating as well. The cool thing about the internet is that you can do everything at your own pace and interest level. Anyway, we also help all the members to create mormon.org profiles, which are the coolest things ever because then we can connect our investigators to members online who come from the same or a similar background as them, religiously, economically, socially, etc... It can be utilized SO effectively. If you haven't checked out mormon.org yet, do it! It's so COOL! The videos on there are really, really good. Imagine that we're in a lesson, and our investigator has a similar problem or predicament as someone in the videos on mormon.org. We can direct them to the site, or have them go to the site right then and there on the spot, check it out. So I'm facebooking and I'm starting a blog. I'm not allowed to friend request any friends or family from back home, but everyone else in the world is fair game. I'm a blogging amateur, so I'm looking for inspiration. When I get it going, I'll ask all of you to follow my blog so that it can get more exposure. Oh, and check out my mormon.org profile, and then make your own! http://mormon.org/me/394N-eng/Luke Questions? I'd be glad to answer them.
Waterbury, Connecticut is a very pretty place. It's very hilly here, and all the roads are going up and down hills and have sharp turns. It's kind of fun! Although I get car-sick if I don't watch where I'm going. There are far more trees here than New Haven or Providence. I've always been in the city, so it's fun to be somewhere a bit more tranquil. We call areas like this the "sticks". We have gotten SO MUCH SNOW!! The weather here has been nuts! Last week, a HUGE snow storm hit us, and dropped 2 feet of snow on us overnight. My companion and I had to dig our car out, but we didn't have a snow shovel, so we knocked some doors and asked people if we could borrow their snow shovel. (It was a really great excuse to go tracting in our apartment complex and we took advantage of the approach to talk about the gospel). I attached 2 photos of me trying to get into our car. It was a dream come true! We don't have any investigators because the missionaries who were here before us didn't do anything, but we'll turn things around. I love you all!
With much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment