Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Quick little Spanish tid-bit

email 10/26/09
Ok, so the way the verbs work in spanish is that there are basically three kinds: -ar, -er, and -ir ending verbs. (ayudAR=to help, descansAR=to rest, traER=to bring, servIR=to serve, etc...) You just change the endings to say something different. (ayudO=I help, etc...) Anyway, I'm not gonna get into all the details, but you can also add on prefixes similar to english when you want to say the 'opposite' of something like "dress vs UNdress" or "tie vs UNtie". In spanish you can add on DES sometimes to have the same effect. However, I ran into a problem with this one. You see, the verb for 'to tie' is "nudar". One would think that the verb for 'to UNtie' would be "DESnudar"... I was explaining repentance in spanish and when I thought I was saying, "We will untie ourselves from our sins," I was actually saying, "We will get naked in our sins"... desnudar is the verb for "to get naked or nude". Spanish people must think I'm such an idiot...
I hope you're laughing your head off right now.
Anyway, I just wanted to share the "Elder Shepherd mistake of the week"
I love you all!

No comments: