Monday, October 19, 2009

Week 2

email 10/19/09
So things continue to go well in New Haven. I've got to say honestly that this week was way better than last week. I guess the first week in the field is always kind of crazy for every missionary, but by the second week I was beginning to recognize where I was and what I was doing. The area that I cover is SO big--New Haven, Fair Haven, East Haven, Hamden--it will take me some time before I begin to understand how to find my way from point A to point B. They're not on the grid system here, and there are no mountains to tell me where East is.  So I am naturally a little lost and shaken, but I'm gradually getting my bearings. I didn't even learn my address until just this week.
I gave my first blessing in Spanish yesterday-you'd be so proud of me. I felt just as nervous as when I gave my first blessing in English! We blessed a sick baby of this couple, the wife is a member and the husband isn't. It was a tender moment, and the spirit was really powerful. I was overwhelmed just that I was able to speak the Spanish necessary for such a task and nonetheless that the spirit was powerful. I think that's what the Gift of Tongues really is.  It's not necessarily speaking the language fluently; it's the spirit influencing the language barrier and speaking to the heart. I felt that, and it felt great.
I continue to learn and grow in knowledge and strength. I LOVE having 3 hours every morning to study! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! My companion and I always have really great companionship studies, and I learn so much by sharing my thoughts and the things I learned with him. When you're enlightened by something in the scriptures or reading a talk you NEED TO WRITE IT DOWN and, if appropriate, SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE! I'm amazed at how much more I receive and learn when I'm writing down the thoughts that come to my mind and heart and sharing them with my companion. Richard G. Scott gave a talk about it in General Conference 2 weeks ago--GO LOOK IT UP!
Church is very interesting here.  We don't have a Spanish branch, and so our members have to wear headsets to receive translation. The other classes are taught in Spanish for the Spanish members, but it divides the ward up. I don't know how to get the white/English members of the ward to fellowship the Latino/Spanish members of the ward. As a consequence, they remain divided, and it's hard to get my new investigators/members to come to activities. We saw a lot of success yesterday at church though. We had a whole family come together.  The Mom was baptized 2 months ago, and she is a superstar! She brought her husband, who is really cool and warming up to us, and her friend and her new born baby. Her baby is the cutest baby I have ever seen! She is ALWAYS smiling! Anyway, I was stoked to see 4 of my investigators at church, and depressed about the others who didn't or couldn't come. *Sigh*
I love being a missionary, and I'm glad to hear that life is awesome in Utah. Keep praying for me--your prayers are felt by me and other missionaries and answered by the Lord. I love you all!

No comments: