email dated 1/4/10
So this week, someone who I spoke to on the street was deathly afraid that December 21st, 2012, was going to be the end of the world, and they wanted to know how to prepare for it. We've gotten that a lot lately-have any of you seen the movie "2012"? We've gotten questions about it, but we're not allowed to watch it. I know that we're in the 'last days', but I also know that "no man knoweth the hour in which the son of man will appear..." And so I can't really safely assume anything when it comes to the end of the world, just that it's coming, and we need to prepare every single day of our lives. It was pretty random, but I guess it got her thinking about her life and some of the changes she needs to make. That's fine with me.
It's 2010, and I think that's crazy! It seems like every letter I write talks about how fast time flies by, but that's just because it really flies by.
My new companion, Elder Beals, is super cool. He plays Guitar and Harmonica at the same time-he was telling me how he played "1 year 6 months ago" by yellowcard on guitar, and the violin part on his harmonica. I hereby challenge Andy to figure that one out. You can do it!
I'm learning that missionary work, if it's done right, involves a lot of heartbreak. I understand now a little more what the Sons of Mosiah meant when they said that they couldn't bear to see their brethren perish in unbelief, and when they saw the iniquities of their brethren, it actually caused the Sons of Mosiah pain in the hearts. I yearn for those whom I serve every day that they will open their hearts and do what they know is right. Fear plays a crippling role in every aspect of our life. Fear will destroy faith, families, and opportunity. Fear is the weapon of the adversary, and the poison to our hopes, dreams, and happiness. There is much to fear, but we must not be afraid-we must have faith. Faith will overpower fear. Faith cannot coexist with fear. Where there is fear and doubt, faith cannot take hold to shape our thoughts into actions, and our actions into our destiny. Faith is the principle of power and action that leads us through the darkest of times. Do what you know is right and be not afraid. Have the faith to stand up for what you believe in.
I'm running out of time to type right now, so I'll have to sign off once again. I love you all! Keep the faith!
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment