email dated 1/25/10
So one of our current investigators is in the hospital right now-she's been there for a couple of weeks with a strange skin infection. She's been on heavy antibiotics and the doctors are puzzled as to why they weren't working. We visited her again this last Friday night, and gave her a priesthood blessing, and read to her from the Book of Mormon. As we revisited her the next day, she told us that the second we left, she felt 'hot'- she said she couldn't explain the feeling, but that she just felt so warm, like her 'heart was on fire' (her words, not mine) and that she was feeling better. She knew that what we had told her was true, and she had tons of questions about the purpose of life, why we're here, and what happens after we die. She's always been really quiet, but she opened up to us as she felt our love for her and the spirits confirming witness that what we taught her was true. The gift and privilege to hold the priesthood is such a blessing. It's a sacred trust that God has in us to do His work, and he blesses us with His power to do it.
As I was reading in the Book of Mormon this week, I read a familiar passage of scripture that touches my heart more and more as I experience and learn about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It's in 3 Nephi chapter 22. The whole chapter is beautiful, but I particularly love several verses. Verse 7-8 the Lord says, "For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment, but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer." Only for a brief moment do we suffer. Only for a brief moment does He let our faith be tried so that we can learn in whom we must trust and strengthen our dependence in Him. The most powerful promise is in verse 10: "For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, (and the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea), but my kindness shall not depart from thee..." I am reminded similar promises made throughout the scriptures ("Though the very jaws of hell gape open after thee, I am with thee..." "Peace, thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment...") He is with us. His kindness will NEVER depart from us. Though for a brief moment, our faith be tried with fire, He will ALWAYS regather us in His infinite mercy, and He is ALWAYS waiting for our return to Him with outstretched arms. He is the gate and passage to our relief, our peace and solace from a troubled and chaotic world, and He stands at the door, waiting for us to open it. If all you had to do was open the door, wouldn't you? He's not leaving! He's not going anywhere, He promised He wouldn't! The mountains shall be removed, and valleys shall be covered by the sea, but He will NEVER leave the door-He waits for you to open it. His kindness will never depart from you.
What a beautiful promise. More than being poetic, it's a true promise. I testify of it's truthfulness. I testify of God's incomprehensible love for His children, insomuch that He gave His only begotten son. How it must have hurt him to watch Christ suffer! How he must have wept at the sight of His rejection and crucifixion; and yet, how He must love us beyond our ability to comprehend. He weeps for our pains and sins, and rejoices in our triumphs. He truly will never forsake us-He will regather us in His compassion, mercy, and love.
The scriptures inspire us-they inspire me everyday to work a little harder, walk a little taller, and testify with even more boldness and faith of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His church to the earth.I hope you are all doing well and I pray for you every day. Don't forget to open the door and let God help you. I promise He won't leave you comfortless.
I love you!
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment