email dated 12/28/09
We're approaching the year 2010! That's a really big number. It's so hard to believe how fast time flies by. I'll have been a missionary for 5 months in 1 week. 2 of those months feel like they don't even count, because I was in the MTC. but I feel as if I've only been here in Connecticut for a week at most.
I get my new companion tomorrow! His name is Elder Biels. He came out the transfer (1 transfer is 6 weeks) after me. What that means is that this will be my 3rd transfer, and his 2nd. Neither of us can speak Spanish very well, so it will be very interesting, but it will be quite an experience. I've already gotten to talk with Elder Biels and get to know him, and I think that I'm going to have a great time with him. He's a hard worker, so all will be well.
I spent the whole morning today cleaning our apartment-it felt really nice to finally be able to relax in an apartment that is clean and doesn't smell like a butt. Living with 4 guys is gross. I just thought I'd throw that out there.
Christmas was a fantastic-I had a breakfast appointment at 10, brunch and 12, dinner at 3, and then another dinner at 6. I'm definitely gaining weight. I was shocked to find out that I'm now the fattest boy in the family, weighing in at 185-190 pounds. I only weighed 165-170 when I entered the MTC... The members here in New Haven keep us very well fed, so I guess I shouldn't complain. The other 2 Elders who I live with have both gained 35-40 pounds so far, and they've both been out for just over a year. What a tough life...
Getting back to Christmas, it was really great. We were really busy all week long, and we were able to get a lot of work done despite the awkward 'threesome' that we were stuck into. I'm excited to have my own companion again and to get back to full-time Spanish work.
Goal-setting is a really big part of missionary work, an important life skill, and it's something that I've come to grow very fond of. L. Tom Perry said that we don't frequently set challenging goals, push ourselves, and re-evaluate and reset our goals, than we'll reach a ripe old age only to realize that we achieved but a fraction of our potential. I'm thoroughly convinced that setting personal goals to better our habits, behaviors, and characters will help us live happier, more successful lives. We will see strengths in areas where we were once weak, and we will tap into potential that we might not have even known that we had. As we approach the New Year and everyone is setting "New Years Resolutions", take some time to ponder about this last year. Think about ways in which you grew, challenges that made you stretch and adapt, and valuable lessons that you learned for the future. Set some goals on what you want to do this year, things you want to accomplish, and the person you want to be by 2011. Find the little things that you can do each day to achieve your great aspirations.
Goal setting sounds dumb sometimes. I know that I thought that it was dumb and boring before I came out on a mission. Now I look back to see a lot of missed opportunity and potential in my youth. The only thing for us to do is look to the future, with a bright faith and hope.
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and that you will set your goals for this new year through prayer and careful consideration.
I love you all,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment