Feliz Navidad from Rhode Island!
It's slightly depressing that there is still no snow here in Providence. The forecast has lied and said that it would snow and then it didn't... The forecast still has snow for the next couple of days, so I still have a hope for a white Christmas. I might die if it doesn't snow soon. It's kind of a big deal. Pray for me.
I can tell that the mission is making me more Christlike, because I'm developing a love and appreciation for those whom I serve, greater than I've ever had before. My companion was really frustrated this week with an attitude that is prevalent in the Hispanic culture: They love the missionaries and want to feed them every day. It faintly resembles a lack of understanding from the members as to our purpose as missionaries. "We want to help them do missionary work. We want to preach the gospel. They just want us fat." was his 'missionary mentality'. While there is some truth to that, we also saw that there was a much deeper meaning behind it. These people are so sharing and loving. I've never been received so kindly and warmly. Many of the people we teach have very very little, and they are so willing to share what little they have with others. I know that many of them are in financially tight situations, but without fail they look to see if there is a way to serve others before gratifying themselves. I have been the grateful recipient of so many acts of kindness and love in the form of rice, beans, and chicken that it brings me to tears. Perhaps we could learn a very profound lesson from them. Yes, I've been called to preach the gospel and I've been sent to 'teach and not be taught' as it says in D&C, but it also says that you shall 'be taught from on high' as you teach, and that God's grace will attend you as you teach diligently. (D&C 88:77-78) I've taught a lot, but I've learned a lot as well. Words can't describe my gratitude. I love these people so much.
One of the coolest things as a missionary is seeing the change in people. Even cooler than that is seeing the people who you taught teach others. I recently began to think of the gospel like an awesomely righteous 'pyramid scheme'. There are some fundamental similarities and differences, but just go with me for a moment. Let's take an example: Elder Shepherd teaches George Hernandez. George Hernandez then teaches Manuel Almonte. George and Manuel both have families who are taught by them, and they serve in countless capacities for the rest of their lives teaching and sharing. The cycle goes on, eventually the pope gets baptized, and MANY people are effected by the courageous decision made by George. I had that thought cross my mind this week as one of my recent converts (baptized 5 months ago) came teaching with me. This recent convert bore his testimony of the Book of Mormon and shared the story about Nephi and the brass plates. Our investigator, Manuel, was really touched by young Georges testimony and courage. It was a tender mercy for me. I was frustrated with the lack of 'success' that we'd had for the past couple of months and I felt like I wasn't doing much good at all in the world. George showed me otherwise. I'm so incredibly grateful that, if only for a brief moment, my understanding expanded and I was able to recognize my blessings and perhaps some of the 'hidden fruits' of my labor.
Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas for me without Christmas music either, so I got permission from my Mission President to organize a group of sisters and elders and go caroling in downtown Providence. We caroled for 2 and a half hours in downtown Providence last Saturday, and it was awesome! I stood in front of our group and conducted them as we sang the Christmas Hymns from the hymnbook. We talked to so many people and made so many contacts! The spirit touched our hearts as well as those who stopped to listen to us, and the true spirit of Christmas was awakened in them. I'll never forget these 2 Christmases that I've spent as a missionary. They are cherished and beautiful memories for me.
I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!
with much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment