Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving rice

I'm emailing on Wednesday because the computers here in Providence didn't work on Monday. How lame.
This entire week I've been pretty sick with the flu. Being sick as a missionary is the worst. You feel like you're wasting your time because your sitting in the house all day instead of hitting the streets, but in all reality you save yourself time in the long-run if you give yourself a day or 2 to recuperate instead of trying to work several 'half-days' while you're sick. Being sick took a big shot at our plans for this week, and we missed out on a lot. We still had a good thanksgiving. We went to the chapel in Providence and played piano and sang for a while. We ate a great thanksgiving dinner with the Recino family. Thanksgiving with chicken and rice was awesome. I did miss having turkey, though.
I met Jose Quiroa about a month ago. He was the pastor of an evangelical congregation back in Guatemala, but he came here to make some money to help out his family. He's a family man so he couldn't stand being away from his family for so long and he went home to Guatemala this week. He'd been told a lot of lies and garbage about the church back in Guatemala, and he'd even been given a copy of the Book of Mormon, but he never read it because he was told that it was full of lies and that's 'how the Mormons get you'. Anyway, he warmed up to us and we had some pretty awesome talks about the gospel with Jose. We had our last lesson with him this week, and we got his address and telephone number so that the missionaries down in Guatemala can keep visiting with him. I'll never forget how I felt as we sang "God be with you til' we meet again" before leaving. Jose hugged us with tears in his eyes and thanked us. The spirit reached into our hearts and filled us with love. It was a special moment. I wish Jose 'God's Speed' as he leaves for Guatemala. He'll be missed.
I got transfer falls this weekend, and I'm staying here in Providence until the 2nd week of January at least. YAY! I really wanted to stay here in Providence for Christmas. The 2 Brazilians in my district went home, and we got 2 new Brazilians. One is a greenie and the other is going home this transfer. I attached a picture of my district from this last transfer. I feel so old... most of the missionaries are younger than me now. *sigh* It's weird.
It's raining, and I've got to go knock some doors. We're so hardcore.
   With much love from your favorite elder,
             -Elder Shepherd

No comments: