There is still no snow here in Providence. *big-depressing-sigh* I really love the snow. My companion is still unsure about the whole idea of living in a 'snowy' climate. He's never had snow for Christmas. Seeing as he's from Arizona and lives in a desert, I don't expect him to understand. I'll show him how wonderful the snow can be if taken in the right attitude. Don't misunderstand me, it's not all that great to walk for miles and miles in uncomfortable dress shoes in 2 feet of snow, soaking wet, freezing cold, and knocking on doors all day; however, don't forget the 'magic' and the 'wonder' of how beautiful the snow is and how much enjoyment we can get out of it and spoil your time and make you a Grinch. I am eagerly awaiting the first snow here.
I've really enjoyed working on this Christmas Musical that I've put together for the mission. This Wednesday all the missionaries in our mission are meeting in a chapel in Connecticut to enjoy a 'Christmas Devotional' day. We'll perform the music program I put together as part of our festivities. It'll be a good one. It's a series of narrations with songs that talk about the varying levels of Christmas worship: the 'Santa Claus' level, the 'Baby Jesus level', and "The Living Christ" level of Christmas, which is the deepest and most meaningful observance of this time of year. Celebrating the birth of Jesus is great, but we can't be content to merely leave Christ in the manger. This time isn't just significant because Christ was born, but because he would live and die for each and every one of us. May we enjoy a Christmas this year focused on our Savior, Jesus Christ, and living His teachings of love and peace.
I met Maria and her 2 teenage children, Sandria and Armando, for the first time yesterday evening. Their lives were shook when Maria's husband died 2 months ago. They've had a hard time coping with the loss, and now they're struggling to pay the mortgage. A sensitive friend of Maria, who happens to be a member of the church, saw what she was going through and referred the missionaries to her. She accepted the invitation. My heart ached for this family as I saw clearly the pain in their eyes. I can tell that the mission is making me Christlike, because I felt so much love for them and pain for their loss, and moreover, for their confusion as to where their husband and father now was. We testified of eternal families. We showed them a picture of the Salt Lake Temple that I always carry around with me. "In this building," we explained, "you will take part in ordinances that will 'bind' you to your family for eternity. Families are forever through God's plan of happiness. He wants your family to go to the temple." We testified of the Plan of Salvation and taught them about the spirit world. The spirit flooded the room as the eyes of our understanding were opened and our hearts burned within us. The greatest joy that I've ever felt out here in the mission has been through teaching testifying of eternal families. I know that I am part of an eternal family, and that knowledge fills me peace and happiness. That knowledge will do the same for Maria and her family as they come to embrace the restored gospel.
God is so good to us.
Have a wonderful week, and don't forget to give someone a hug!
With much love from your favorite elder,
-Elder Shepherd
No comments:
Post a Comment